The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Data profiling on large data sets

Data profiling feature in the Browse tool is a great feature, however, when your working with an extremely large data set, it can a large amount of time to fully render.

My idea is if Alteryx can make a pre-determination whether the data is so large that it'll take a substantial amount of time to profile the data. If it does, to not profile immediately, rather, display a message where the profile info would be letting the user know that it may take a while to generate with a "Generate Profile" button if the user needs to see it.

Another option would be to only profile a sample of the data and present the user an option to profile everything.

Thanks,

Jimmy

3 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

I agree on this...

It really takes a lot of time to profile big data sets

and in the mean time Alteryx become unresponsive for a few seconds...

However it is possible to quickly sample a big data set and

provide profiling information without compromising on profiling quality...

Here you go a research paper on the topic...

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8231848

wlhale
7 - Meteor

Allowing the ability to turn on/off data profiling PER workflow would be helpful. I do all my work on one instance of designer and some of my inputs can be 1,000,000 rows plus. I know i can reduce that however if i'm simply making a change to the workflow and want to run it before updating the scheduler workflow i forget to turn it off on the user options (mainly because i have it on for some other work i'm doing) all of sudden i run the changed workflow to a browse window and the profiler takes over for about 5 minutes it seams. The ability to control this per workflow would be very helpful.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes