Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Change to Cache and Run workflow: Allow multiple caches

I think the Cache and Run Workflow option is a good addition in Alteryx 2018.3 but I think it needs more work to be useful.

For example I build a simple workflow where each tool is fed in by one tool and is used by one tool. So you have a sequence of tools. A -> B --> C --> D -- > E

Say I build A -> B -> C and I put a Cache and Run Workflow option on C, it will run the workflow and cache the output out of C.

But if I build D and E onto it after that event and put the option Cache and Run Workflow on E, it will run the whole workflow ignoring the cache output from C.

Can it be changed where E's Cache and Run Workflow will respect C's Cache and Run Workflow?

Thanks,

Mathew

5 Comments
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I'm running into this exact same issue.
I used to be able to cache very large queries in their respective Input tools and continue to add to the workflow without having to re-run them.  Now, any time I want to connect a new data stream to the existing cached one, the whole workflow runs over again.

This feature is a major step backwards in my opinion.

I'll be downgrading back to 11.x until this gets worked out.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for your post!

This update to the caching feature will be available in a upcoming release! We'll update this idea again once the release is available for download.

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for this idea! As of the 2020.1 release, if you cache a tool downstream from another cache, Alteryx will utilize that upstream cache to create the new cache rather than starting completely over. The release notes for 2020.1 are available here.