Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Cache Checkbox - Allow selection of cache with a checkbox embedded

With the release of 2018.3, cache has become an adhoc task. With complex workflow and multiple inputs we need a method to cache and save the cache selection by tool. Once the workflow runs after opening, the cache would be saved at the latest tool downstream.

This way we don't have to create adhoc cache steps and run the workflow 2X before realizing the time saving features of cache.

This would work similar to the cache feature in 11.0 but with enhanced functionality...the best of the old cache with the new cache intent.

Embed the cache option into tools.

Thanks!

9 Comments
DE0413
8 - Asteroid

Yes, it would be very helpful to have the ability to save your cache preferences with a configuration cache check box

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be great!

cdohrmann
5 - Atom

this would be helpful

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

This is now available in the 2019.3 release. Download it at http://downloads.alteryx.com

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jpoz  - thank you for all the additions and fixes you've been adding to the product!

From what I can see in 2019.3 and 2019.4, the "Cache Data' checkbox on the input data tool now looks and feels like the behaviour of "Cache and Run" more broadly.

Has this "cache" checkbox been added into any other tools as part of this release so that I can pick up where I left off when I carry on the next day (with the cache intact or the "cache this data" setting already turned on)?

Thanks @jpoz 

Sean

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@SeanAdams The 'Cache Data' checkbox is currently only available with the Input Data tool for database formats. Adding it for other tools would be a new feature, but it seems like it could be a good idea.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Understood @jpoz  - thanks for the confirmation.    I've been working through all the items that you folk managed to pack into 2019.4 to see and learn from the work you've done.

there's a lot in this release!

sueooiwl
5 - Atom

Hi All

When i tried the cache checkbox and work on my worklfow and save it. Then close worklow and reopen it next day to work on it, the data that was previously cached is no longer there. I will have to re-run the workflow again. So caching only works if you don't shut down designer altogether or even close the workflow altogether. Am i right?

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@sueooiwl Yes, the cache file is not currently persisted when you close and open alteryx, although if the cache checkbox was checked the first time you run that workflow a cache will be created for those tools.