The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add a Credentials/Environment Variables Manager

The "Manage Data Connections" tool is fantastic to save credentials alongside the connection without having to worry when you save the workflow that you've embedded a password. 

Imagine if - there were a similar utility to handle credentials/environment variables. 

• I could create an entry, give it a description, a username, and an encrypted password stored in my options, then refer to that for configurations/values throughout my workflows. 
    • Tableau credentials in the publish to tableau macro
    • Sharepoint Credentials in the sharepoint list connector
  • When my password changes I only have to change it in one place
  • If I handoff the workflow to another user I don't have to worry about scanning the xml to make sure I'm not passing them my password
  • When a user opens my workflow that doesn't have a corresponding entry in their credentials manager they would be prompted using my description to add it.
  • Entries could be exported and shared as well (with passwords scrubbed)

Example Entry Tableau:

Alias Tableau Prod
Description Tableau Production Server
UserID JPhillips
Password *********
+  

Then when configuring a tool you could put in something like [Tableau Prod].[Password] and it would read in the value.

Or maybe for Sharepoint:

Alias TeamSP
Description Team sharepoint location
UserID JPhillips
Password *********
URL  http://sharepoint.com/myteam
+  

Or perhaps for a team file location:

Alias TeamFiles
Description Root directory for team files
Path \\server.net\myteam\filesgohere
+  

Any of these values could be referenced in tool configurations, formulas, macro inputs by specifying the Alias and field.

1-3-2019 12-43-52 PM.png

18 Comments
rvwrvw
5 - Atom

Especially with the Salesforce connector it is a must to be able to update the salesforce credentials once for all workflows that use the same credentials. A simple free tool XL Connector has solved this perfectly (and the paid version also eliminates the 2000 row limit for query results!)

Josh_WI
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, could we have an update on the progress of the implementation? This would be excellent to have. Given the last official update was in 2019 and indicated a hopeful completion in 2020, it seems appropriate to provide an update. Thank you!

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@Josh_WI  This is basically the DCM, I guess ;)

bora_perusic
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, exactly, we have implemented the Data Connection Manager (DCM) and it is available in the newer version of Designer Desktop, We hope it solves most of the issues mentioned. Of course, we continue to improve it, so any use cases and suggestions are welcome.

Bora

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@bora_perusic  Hello. Sadly the ideas status are not up to date (not only this one.. ), leading to this confusion.

Best regards,

Simon

bora_perusic
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@simonaubert_bd you are right, sorry. Notified the moderator.

@PavelPankov 

Bora

JessL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

jayj1000
7 - Meteor

So the DCM solves this problem.  Thank you.