Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

Since I am a new user I am not sure if there is already a way to customize sort order in Alteryx.  In Excel it is possible to use a saved list to define a sort order.

One example is where the sort function uses the labels for months of the year.  Instead of ALPHA ORDER in the ouput you might want to see the MONTH ORDER. 

Order.jpg

Excel supports an alternative sort order through the use of custom lists. Some custom lists are provided with the software and users can add their own custom lists.

The Excel interface for sorting using custom lists looks like this:

Excel.jpg

Improve the productivity of creating a canvas workflow by bringing up the 'Search All Tools' when I click on the canvas or create connections.   Currently, you must either search on the top toolbar then drag the tool down or right click in the canvas and navigate the menu.  It would be great to have a similiar functionality of the 'Search All Tools' box anywhere I click on the canvas to quickly add new tools to the workflow by typing rather than dragging from the toolbar. 

Case 1: When I create a connection from a current tool by clicking on the output and dragging to an open are, rbing up the 'search all tools' bar where I click and allow me to search the tools on the canvas.  Once I select enter, the tool selected will be brought into the canvas.

Case 2: when I click on an empty space in the canvas, bring up the 'search all tools' bar where I click and insert the selected tool into the canvas. 

Hi,

Recently I was helping a client to design the workflow to do transformation. In the middle of the work, I feel a bit lost on handling so many fields and thinking it would be great if there is a feature that allow me to track the field actions along the workflow. It could be something like a configuration on the canvas, user activate it only when they want to.

And when it is activated, the workflow could become:

23.PNG

So it is easier to find the path of certain field along the whole workflow.

Or is there any method to achieve this at the moment?

Thanks.

Kenneth

Would really love there to be a way to store environment related config variables without requiring the use of an external config 'file' that you need to bring in in every workflow.

Functionality should be similar to how the Alias manager works (although allowing aliasing of more than just DB connections)

The sort of things that would typically be included as such a variable would be:

• contact email address for workflow failure/completion
  • other external log file location
  • environment name
  • environment specific messaging

If this could be set for different subscriptions or collections it would be fantastic. If not, at the server level would suffice.

When running an app (not in the Gallery), the status bar appears to complete for each tool, then start over for the next tool.  It'd be great if while it was doing that, the tool name that it was running displayed.  Now, I know for most processes this will be instantaneous and your eye won't even catch it.  But if we have, for example, several join/sort tools with lots of data going through them, it would be nice to know which one it's on.

It would be a handy feature if it were possible to choose a data type for an input tool to read the data in as. For example, if a dataset has multiple fields with different data types, it would be handy to be able to make the Input Tool read and output them all as a string, if needed. This would also make a handy tool, a sort of blanket data conversion to convert all fields to the specified type.

Have you noticed that when you save a custom image to a macro it multiplies the file size? Below I will outline why I believe this happens and how it could potentially be fixed.

Hypothesis:

When a image is saved in the XML of a macro, it is saved in a single line of XML code that is generally quite long. I believe the problem this causes is that this very long image code extends the length of all other lines to this new max length. This increased line length seems to increase the file size and is multiplicative based on how many lines of XML that have been extended in the macro. For example, I added a 5KB image to a 7KB macro and saving the macro resulted in a 29KB file size. I have also experienced saving a 5KB image to a 300KB macro that yielded a 1.4MB macro. 

In the (very zoomed out) image below, you can see the single line that contains the image information for this simple macro.

Macro XML Image.png

Potential Solution:

Images are saved in the Image tool by splitting the image information into multiple lines. I suggest this same methodology be introduced to custom images loaded to macros. The image below shows the XML of the Image tool that has the same image as the macro stored.

Image Tool with Stored Image.png

I mentioned this in the Solutions Center at Inspire 2016, but I wanted to follow up here to make sure it wasn't lost in the mix. 

Ever tried to copy a field rename from one select tool to another, or from one summarize tool from another.

Have you noticed that it doesn't work?

I think it should. 🙂

i.e., if you click on the rename box ("Total") and enter ctrl-c, when you enter ctrl-v in the other tool, it pastes this:

Field2 Sum Total

not just the name "Total"

Instead of just the renamed field "Category", the select tool pastes this:

True Field1 String 1 Category

SummarizeRename.png

SelectRename.png

Reduce mouse movement required by bringing up the "Add" menu at the point of the cursor when right-clicking on a field in the Fields window.

When moving a tool container, all of the tools within it become mis-aligned with the canvas grid.  Moving any single tool immediately re-aligns it to the grid, which puts it out of alignment with the rest of the tools in the container.

Example:  Put 3 tools in a row in a tool container, all aligned horizontally.  Next, move the container.  Now, move the middle tool, then try to place it back in alignment with the other two.  You won't be able to, because they are out of alignment with the canvas grid.

Please fix this.  

0 Likes

It would be awesome if we could perform a 'create or replace' on an excel file with the output tool. The tableau TDE extract has an output option that says "Overwrite existing extract file (Create if does not exist)" If the excel file format option could have this same output option that would help out a ton!

0 Likes

The Directory Tool would be more useful if it could output the file extension as a separate field.

Currently numeric values displayed in the browse window are left justified and the number of digits showing to the right of the decimal point cannot be controlled.

Results left.jpg

The current limitations on display formats make it more challenging to scan output values.

In Excel, by comparison, users can control output to be displayed so that the following would be automatic:

Results right.jpg

For a business user having data in this conventional format is easier to consume.  I was able to achieve the above with this formula:

PadLeft(ToString([Sum_Sales],2,1),20," ")

BUT - should this extra step be necessary?

This same comment applies to data formats.  More control over display formats in browse would be welcome.

Issue: Even though the Send Email event is configured for the After Run Without Errors setting in the Workflow Configuration it still sends an email when the execution of workflow is cancelled. I think only the Before Run event should be allowed to trigger in this case.

App: Alteryx Designer x64
Version: 10.5.9.15014

Workflow Configuration ErrorWorkflow Configuration Error

Email ScreenshotEmail Screenshot

Feature: If an instance of Alteryx is already running then on double clicking a *.yxmd file in Windows Explorer it should open in a New Tab of existing instance instead of launching another instance of Alteryx.

Issue: Each new instance of Alteryx puts load on the system memory due to an additional AlteryxGui.exe process.

Workaround: Currently we can drag & drop the *.yxmd file from Windows Explorer onto the running Alteryx instance to open in a new tab of the current instance but the same behaviour on double clicking the *.yxmd would be highly appreciated. 

0 Likes

Currently excel files with top lines frozen do not read into Alteryx. This causes extra manual work, as a default setting for the output of one of my reports freezes the top line automatically.

I know for - the most part - the Alteryx core data bundle is the only one part of allocate. It would be great if you could open up allocate to the user so we can add our own third party data sources. Just tell us what the requirements are to make our datasets ready for allocate and then we can load it ourselves. Then we can use the allocate workspace to query data in a similar way.

for example:

Geography(DMA,*)
Variable(CYADULT18P,CYADULT18P,False)

My fields names may be a little long (about 20 uppercase characters). As of today, I have to resize the column displaying the field name every time I browse the Select Tool, id est pretty much. If not blocking, it appears to be clearly frustrating that Alteryx doesn't save the size of the column...

Best regards.

Sans titre.png

It would be great if we could set the default size of the window presented to the user upon running an Analytic App. Better yet, the option to also have it be dynamically sized (auto-size to the number of input fields required).

Hello,

Please enable wildcard ability for the Amazon S3 Download Tool.

Add this to the "Object Name" field in configurations.

The current workaround is to use a macro to iterate over the filenames matching a pattern.

Adding this ability in the connector would remove the need for a macro.

Thank you.

Dennis

Top Liked Authors