Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

PDF as an output option for SharePoint Files Output Tool

The Sharepoint file tools are certainly a step in the right direction, but it would be great to enhance the files types that it is possible to write to sharepoint from Alteryx.

The format missing that I think is probably most in demand is pdf. If we're using the Alteryx reporting suite to create PDF reports, it would be awesome to have an easy way to output these to Sharepoint.

https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/sharepoint-files-output-tool

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Sharepoint-Files-Tool/ta-p/877903

10 Comments
VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Hi @Joe_Lipski ,

we do not plan to make SP Output to be able to produce PDF files, but we do plan to provide an option to upload files based on provided filepaths. 

I.e. you would use other Alteryx tools to create the PDF files locally and once you have their filepaths, you send those into the Sharepoint Output tool and make it upload them into your desired folder in Sharepoint Site. 

Would that cover your use case fully? Would you consider such scenario to be fulfilling your request? 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @VojtechT 

That would certainly cover the use cases that I can currently think of and I hope would allow for pretty much any format to be written to sharepoint from Alteryx (via Filepath).

It would be nice if this could be done without having to use block until done tools in the workflow, so the workflow outputs or renders the file before the Sharepoint Tool executes.

Thanks,

Joe

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

You surely are not going to make my life any easier, right? 😁

But I got your point and have to admit it's the right approach. 

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@VojtechT any progress on the ability to move files based on a file path?

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Joe_Lipski , it's on our roadmap for the second half of this year.

PierreRodriguez
5 - Atom

Hi everyone!

I have solved this as follows:

1. I create a pdf file

2. I use a Block Until Done tool and in output 1 a temporary pdf file is generated

3. In the Output 2, I use a Engine.TempFilePath formula to know the temporary path of the file

4. Finally, I use a macro (with python) to send the file to Sharepoint

PierreRodriguez_3-1654647633601.png

In the macro, I put :

The Sharepoint site: https://{tenant}.sharepoint.com/sites/{your site}/

The Sharepoint Folder: /sites/{your site}/Shared documents/folder...

email: your email

password: your password

path_temp: you should choose the column with the temporary path name

- The macro inside is like this:

PierreRodriguez_2-1654647395722.png

I used a package called "Office365-REST-Python-Client" : https://github.com/vgrem/Office365-REST-Python-Client

With this I was be able to send pdf files to Sharepoint

Thank you for your attention

PH_80
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Could you please share the above flow?

Thanks in advance!

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is definitely needed ! 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@VojtechT , your post from last year, said posting PDF to sharepoint was in the roadmap for later in the year (2022), can you give an update on where this may stand at the moment?

allisonlevyHAL
5 - Atom

Hello, I also wanted to follow up and see if there was any progress on a workaround to upload PDF files from the Render tool to Sharepoint.