The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

ISO / ANSI compliant join option

Most databases treat null as "unknown" and as a result, null fails all comparisons in SQL.    For example, null does not match to null in a join, null will fail any > or < tests etc.    This is an ANSI and ISO standard behaviour.

Alteryx treats null differently - if you have 2 data sets going into a join, then a row with value null will match to a row with value null.

We've seen this creating confusion with our users who are becoming more fluent with SQL and who are using inDB tools - where the query layer treats null differently than the Alteryx layer.

Could we add a setting flag to Alteryx so that users can turn on ISO / ANSI standard processing of Null so that data works the same at all levels of the query stack?

Many thanks

Sean

4 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

The expectation would be to follow the industry standards (iso) where they exist. Where they don’t I would like to see Alteryx being in step with other languages such as SQL for how you do things.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I'll drink to that!!!

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

My 2 cents : I'm all in favor of following ISO/ANSI norms when it can apply. However, I'm not sure it should apply as a default for in-memory on Alteryx because of legacy compatibility. I would rather have two options :
-System settings
-Join tool settings

Best regards,

Simon

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes