The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Directory Tool: Empty Folders

Would like to see the Directory tool output results for folders that are empty.

My particular use case is requiring me to join a dataset with a file system directory and identify each dataset record's corresponding folder in a file directory. Each folder in that directory has subfolders that require a document to be located inside, and I'd like to be able to use the Directory tool to identify which subfolders are empty for which records.

5 Comments
martin-krejci
6 - Meteoroid

@aquinta4: Did you ever manage to find the answer? 

martin-krejci
6 - Meteoroid

I found a solution to this. 

Win command line below should do the magic, then the structure generated by the command can be cleared for the additional characters generated.

TREE /a C:\...\final_folder > output.txt

martin-krejci_0-1590749618126.png

TREE actually takes quite a time if you would like to map a large size of a file. The below will do the work if you want to output of files with their full paths only and runs much faster.

DIR C:\...\final folder /B /S > output.txt

MPohlers
8 - Asteroid

I tried out the precedure of @martin-krejci and what was missing for me was a recursive way knowing that a folder on a higher level has no files all the way down to the lowest level. And then additionally I need to delete those empty directories.

I found the following free software that finds those empty directories and can delete them with a GUI. Quite nice, works out of box so I stopped trying to make it work in Alteryx.

https://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm

nataliamiteva
8 - Asteroid

https://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm is a great solution for this! Thanks for sharing @MPohlers 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes