Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Strange double format to date

MarcosC_
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I tried a couple of community posts on similar problems but the doubles that people had issues with usually were the dates just unformatted.

I can't share the workflow nor the data since it's confidential but it's an extraction coming from a company software.

In the excel it appears in a "valid" format DD/MM/YYYY, but Alteryx reads it as double with just 5 numbers.

Might be my fault but I also can't make the ToString formula work to then use the Parse DateTime to help me.

Select tool also only identifies as double / int number type data and doesn't give me the Date option which would fix it entirely.

Alteryx read

Alteryx reading source data format.PNG

Original excel file .xlsx

Excel source data format.PNG

Thanks for the help,

Marcos

4 REPLIES 4
Raj
15 - Aurora

@MarcosC_ 
use formula :- todate([field])

this will convert this to date
mark done if solved.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

The format you are seeing is the number of days since January 1, 1900 (which I believe is how excel stores dates on the backend). @Raj is exactly correct, you can use the ToDate() function to convert this number to a date (just make sure you are adding a new Date-type column and not trying to modify the pre-existing "double"-type column.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@AndrewDMerrill very well explained!

@MarcosC_ attaching workflow for reference.

MarcosC_
6 - Meteoroid

Hey @Raj  @AndrewDMerrill 

Thanks so much for your assistance and explanations.

I feel dumb -.-' Simpler than I was making it out to be.

It totally worked.

Labels