Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to Efficiently Categorize Variance Data Using a Dynamic Materiality Table in Alteryx?

Buddhi_DB
7 - Meteor

I have a dataset of variance values and a materiality table that defines different ranges. Previously, I used the Generate Rows tool to categorize these variances, but it significantly slows down the workflow when dealing with large datasets. Here is an example of my data and materiality table:

Variance 

materiality table

MinMaxmateriality 
0101880Below CT
1018811731963Above CT
1731964 Above PM

I want to categorize each variance into "Below CT", "Above CT", or "Above PM" based on the ranges defined in the materiality table. My goal is to achieve this dynamically so that changes to the materiality ranges do not require me to manually update formulas.

WHAT CHATGPT suggested me to do (But I don't know about these Macro workflows)   Can anyone help me to do this.

To create a batch macro in Alteryx that dynamically categorizes variance values based on a materiality table, you can follow these detailed steps:

Step 1: Prepare the Data

1. Input Variance Data:

• Load your variance data using the Input Data tool.
  2. Input Materiality Table:

• Create a materiality table using the Text Input tool with columns: Min, Max, and Level.

Example Materiality Table:

mathematica
    Copy code
    | Min | Max | Level | |---------|---------|----------| | 0 | 101880 | Below CT | | 101881 | 1731963 | Above CT | | 1731964 | | Above PM |

Step 2: Create the Batch Macro

1. Open Alteryx Designer:

• Create a new workflow and save it as a macro by changing the type to "Batch Macro".
  2. Add Input Data:

• Add an Input Data tool to load your variance dataset.
  3. Add Control Parameter:

• Add a Control Parameter tool. This tool will take each row from the materiality table.
  4. Formula Tool:

• Add a Formula tool to categorize the variances based on the control parameter values.

• Create a formula to categorize the variance:

plaintext
      Copy code
      IIF([Variance] >= [#1] AND (IsNull([#2]) OR [Variance] <= [#2]), [#3], 'Unknown')
      • Here, [#1] refers to the Min value, [#2] refers to the Max value, and [#3] refers to the Level.
  5. Macro Output:

• Add an Output Data tool to save the categorized data.

Configuration of Batch Macro:

1. Control Parameter Configuration:

• Connect the control parameter to the Input Data tool. This will pass the materiality table values to the macro.
    • In the control parameter configuration, set the Action Type to update the values of the formula.
  2. Formula Tool Configuration:

• Update the formula to use control parameter values [Min], [Max], and [Level].

Step 3: Main Workflow

1. Main Workflow:

• Create a new workflow and add the Input Data tool to load your variance dataset.
    • Add the Text Input tool to load your materiality table.
  2. Batch Macro Configuration:

• Add the batch macro to the workflow.
    • Connect the variance dataset to the macro input.
    • Connect the materiality table to the control parameter of the macro.
  3. Output Data:

• Add an Output Data tool to save the categorized variance data.

Detailed Configuration of Control Parameters:

• Control Parameter Tool:
    • Name: Min
    • Set the action to update the Min field in the formula tool.
    • Name: Max
    • Set the action to update the Max field in the formula tool.
    • Name: Level
    • Set the action to update the Level field in the formula tool.
1 REPLY 1
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

@Buddhi_DB take a look a the attached workflow; let me know how you get on

dynamic varince.png

Labels