Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Snowflake Alteryx ODBC connection dns-less can we put more WAREHOUSE/SCHEMA?

lzanotti
8 - Asteroid

hi Community,
maybe this is a dumb question so apologies in advance.

we are using the Snowflake ODBC DSN-less connection to retrieve data in Alteryx from Snowflake. 

At the moment we are using a connection that looks like the bellow: 

odbc:DRIVER={SnowflakeDSIIDriver};SERVER={blabla.snowflakecomputing.com};UID={TEST_snowflakeAlt};DATABASE={TEST_DB};SCHEMA={MART};WAREHOUSE={TEST_WH_M};ROLE={};AUTHENTICATOR={snowflake};PWD=__EncPwd1__;

would be possible to use this for other(multiple) DATABASE/WAREHOUSE/SCHEMA, given the TES_snowflakeAlt user will have visibility? 
If so do I need to add the values inside the curly brackets? Or the one in the connection string are just the default, so when the user has visibility everything will magically appear in the Visual query of the Input Tool? 
I have looked insanely recently at snowflake documentation etc but cannot find a straight answer sorry. 

Many thanks for this
Luca

Thansk a lot for your info

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

95% sure this is how it works:

If you include values in your connection string for DB/Schema/Role/Warehouse - they will be be locked into your connection. If you have defaults in your ODBC driver - you will use the default value in your ODBC 64. If you leave them out - they will go as default (ie it's totally fine to have no Database in both ODBC 64 and in your connection string). If you declare DATABASE='' - that's a problem. Instead just omit the entirely DATABASE=.... parameter.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

My memory is the only must haves are:

DRIVER={SnowflakeDSIIDriver};SERVER={blabla.snowflakecomputing.com};UID={TEST_snowflakeAlt};PWD=__EncPwd1__;

and if you are using SAML - AUTHENTICATOR=externalbrowser;

lzanotti
8 - Asteroid

thanks for the reply, we do not use ODBC64, we just install the Snowflake ODBC driver and configure the connection string only in the Gallery. I may try to omit all these parameters then 

Labels