Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Automate Workflow execution

Neer_0135
6 - Meteoroid

I have folder contain excel documents on the share drive. I want alteyx workflow to execute automatically every time there is an edit in any of the file on a folder. I have only alteryx designer license 

2 REPLIES 2
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Neer_0135 

I would recommend checking out this post.

Basically, it uses an iterative macro that is throttled to run about once per minute that checks to see if the file's timestamp is the current day (you can make changes to the macro settings).

I hope this helps. If it does, please like the post and mark it as a solution.

fluteman
8 - Asteroid

This is conceptual; and this how I would approach solving for this use-case:

Assumes you have access to Alteryx Gallery or Windows Scheduler (see related post : Re: Run workflow using Windows task scheduler - Page 2 - Alteryx Community)

fluteman_0-1671221992070.png

Step 1: Create a small database somewhere (that can be updated) that lists the file names and their last_Update dates.

Step 2: Connect via sharepoint or Directory to the file listing.

Step 3: Use the stop control to perform the following workflows in order:

a) run windows command to pull a file listing from a directory and their corresponding dates; transform this until you have file name and last update date.

b) compare to your database in Step 1

Step 4: If true, do something and update the small database with the new updated date; If false, do nothing.

I would schedule this for once a day; I think intraday is over kill.

Labels