Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 7 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 7 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/7

39 REPLIES 39
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@patrick_digan wrote:

Probably not the straightest path there but it worked.

If you use Ctrl Shift + it would be a straighter path 😉

rachel_k
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
day7.jpg

It's not pretty, but it worked.  I edited part 2 right on top of part 1, so this won't work for part 1.  

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-12-07 162859.png

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

Tried to get too cute on p2 and simplified it.

Spoiler
Day7.png
StevenP
8 - Asteroid

My Solution:

Spoiler
image.png
I applied a ranking to the hand types and each card value and did nested sorts within each to determine the true order.

In order to account for Jokers I looked at the relevant hands and determined the best card to "add" the joker into.
For example: the hand KTJJT has three different cards K/J/T with T being the most frequent card with 2 instances. Taking the max value of 2 and adding the count of jokers (2) to it results in a count of 4 making it a four of a kind. To account for the fact that a native four of a kind is always better than one that uses jokers I did not convert the original hand to be KTTTT but left it as is. The Type_Code however was updated from Two Pair (2,2,1) to Four of a Kind (4,1).

Carolyn
9 - Comet

Solved! That was a fun one. I ended up with a very bizarre detour with a couple of Multi-Rows to handle the Jokers and getting them sorted properly

Spoiler
2023-12-07_10-37-22.png
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Fortunately I was able to use most of my solution for part 1 for part 2. Detour tools for the win!

Spoiler
07.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Another easy one today...

Spoiler
1.pngHands.png

It's not pretty, but I went down the route of splitting out the data into it's parts, then tokenizing to rows on the cards by individual characters, so I had a card per row. I then grouped by Hand and by card to get a count of each card per hand. I then filtered (many times) to determine if they had 5,4,3 or 2 of any kind in a hand (this process had to be repeated).
This got me to a point where I determined the hand rank (1 being 5 of a kind and so on).
I then brought in the card scores from a text input to join. From here it was a case of ranking them in Hand ranking order, then sorting by 1,2,3,4 and 5 in order by card score.
I then used two record IDs with an order shift in between as a quick way of scoring highest to lowest (could have done that earlier)

For part two I used a formula to determine the hand shift according to no. of Jacks:

if [No. Jacks]=0 THEN [Hand Rank]

ELSEIF [Hand Rank]=1 then 1

elseif [Hand Rank]=2 AND [No. Jacks]>0 then 1

elseif [Hand Rank]=3 AND [No. Jacks]>0 then 1

elseif [Hand Rank]=4 AND [No. Jacks]>0 THEN 2

elseif [Hand Rank]=5 AND [No. Jacks]=1 then 3
elseif [Hand Rank]=5 AND [No. Jacks]=2 then 2

elseif [Hand Rank]=6 AND [No. Jacks]=1 then 4
elseif [Hand Rank]=6 AND [No. Jacks]=2 then 4

elseif [Hand Rank]=7 AND [No. Jacks]=1 then 6

ELSE [Hand Rank] ENDIF

and the card score was adjusted in the text input.

So there you go, @phottovy , enjoy!

Bulien

Samantha_Jayne
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Day 7.png
ok I am busy closing deals and rushed this one. #sorrynotsorry 
Don't try to understand it, ill clean it up another day and upload! 
Good news is though I got the right answer in all that spaghetti 🤣
Samantha Clifton
Alteryx
#alteryxrocks
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I didn't over think and over engineer my solution to today's problem and anyone who says any different is a big fat liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler
aoc d7.png
Labels