Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 7 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 7 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/7

39 REPLIES 39
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

This was a really fun puzzle!

Spoiler
Part 1: I overcomplicated this at first, until I realized I could simply sort a cross tab to get the ranks of each hand.

Part 2: Mostly a copy and paste from part 1. I could go back and clean this up so that it's a parameterized workflow instead of two separate workflows for each part.... but AOC isn't always about elegance :)

Luckily was able to determine early that forming the best hand just means adding the number of jokers to the card with the highest frequency & strength in each hand. My lone JJJJJ hand dropped off in a join, which threw off my answer until I looked more critically at my record count. 

Day7.png
alisonpitt
11 - Bolide

I've pretty much given up on trying use fewer tools, at this point 😅 But this was a really fun one, I'm really pleased I got it!

Spoiler
7-1-ap.png7-2-ap.png

Edit: it's fascinating to see how many different approaches there are in this thread!!

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
2023_AoC_Day07_JeffF2.png
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Today, I couldn't perform as well as I could because I have some work. So, I took so much time for part 2 due to a small mistake.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 194138.png

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

My solution.

Spoiler
AoC07_WF.png
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Designer Cloud solution.

Spoiler

I was surprised at the difference of the Find Replace tool.

AoC_2023_07_02.png

And I optimize my Designer Desktop workflow.

Spoiler
I found that there were some waste tools after upload, I changed the screenshot.

AoC_2023_07_12.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Not winning any tool golf here but very much enjoyed today's challenge! Part 2 was interesting to work through.

Spoiler
Day7.png
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

I thought I had a good workflow going until I found buried in the documentation that Mode calculation selects the lowest number when there is a tie. This is a good use case where Alteryx should have an option to pick MaxMode or MinMode in the Summarize Tool when there are more than one Mode. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Probably not the straightest path there but it worked.

Spoiler
image.png
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
image.png
Labels