Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Use Text Input tool in Gallery

raghusrealm
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow ready to be published on the gallery. For the workflow to start, user needs to enter value in text input tool. 

My question: once I load the workflow to the gallery, is there a way for users to input value into the text input tool before they run the workflow???

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Raghu

2 REPLIES 2
JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @raghusrealm 

The first thing that comes to mind is that when an app uses UI tools such as a Text Box, it takes the data applied, and updates via the Action tool before it runs the application. So in essence, the app considers the User Input before running. 

That said, I've run into cases where it was necessary to use a chained app that would use the first app to collect User Inputs and organize them into a 'start' file, then use the file for the analysis in the second app. 

Does that help at all?

Justin

Justin Babbitt
BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @raghusrealm - yes, that would turn your workflow into an Analytic Application. Take a look at a few of these videos to get started, but essentially, you can use an interface tool - perhaps a Text Box tool that will prompt the user before the application runs. The action of that interface tool will be to insert that custom value into your Text Input tool, and then the workflow will run, taking that value through the workflow.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Introduction-to-Applications/td-p/45406

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Alteryx-Platform-and-Introduction-to-Apps/td-p/66506

I use this method quite a bit with some of the Analytic Apps I use.

I mocked up a quick one with a Text Box tool that will add my custom value to the Text Input tool, you can use this as a guide. Once you create it in Designer, save it to your Gallery and give it a test.

Regards,

Brian

If this solves your issue, please consider marking this as Complete so others can find this as well.