Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduled Workflow Doesn't Work But Manual Run Does

tmkwil
5 - Atom

I have a workflow published to Alteryx Gallery/Server that is scheduled to run every 4 hours.  The workflow executes with no errors but it doesn't do any work either.  However, when I run the workflow from within Gallery using the "Run" button it does work.  They are both executing the same published version of the workflow.

The workflow was developed using Designer version 2020.4.5.12471.

Gallery server is running the same version 2020.4.5.12471.

The workflow first has a Directory Input tool, which runs through a Count Records to count how many files there are to process.  If there is at least 1 I set a "Run" flag to 1 (bool), if there are no files I set the "Run" flag to 0 (bool).  This Run flag is then passed to a Batch Macro that enables/disables a container.  The container holds all the tools that actually process the file contents. 

When I run in Designer it works correctly. When I press the "Run" button in Gallery it runs correctly. When the workflow starts from a schedule it runs without errors but it seems like that container in the macro is never enabled even when a file is present.

Any thoughts on why the schedule would behave differently than a manual run?

Any thoughts on a different strategy to enable/disable execution based on files in a directory?

Primary workflow with the dir input, record count, set Run, pass to macro:

tmkwil_0-1620917590644.png

Control Parameter in the macro connected to container:

tmkwil_1-1620917616904.png

Update value with formula:

tmkwil_2-1620917655166.png

1 REPLY 1
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @tmkwil 

That sounds a frustrating/confusing one.

It may be worth trying the conditional runner tool, instead of your method of disabling the container. Heres a similar situation:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Crew-Macro-Conditional-Runner/td-p/491...

I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Owen

Bulien