Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

DSN run via server with user credentials

npsmith
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I want my users to pass their UID/PW for DSN connection when they run workflows on the gallery.  In this case, we are connecting to AWS Redshift.

My understanding is this:

1) Install Redshift driver on server machine

2) Setup the Data Connection on the server where I provided the connection string (ODBC: ....DSN = ...... UID = ..... PW=.....)

3) User does the same on his/her PC (steps #2, #3)

When the user uploads the workflow, will his/her workflow's UID/PW override what was entered in the server's Data Connection connection string?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @npsmith,

Thanks for your question!

To make this work as your desire, ensure the DSN set up on the server does not contain username and password.

Then, when the user utilizes the same DSN and adds his/her username/password and saves to the server, his/her credentials will be used. 

Thanks,

Amelia

npsmith
8 - Asteroid

I also noticed that as long as I have the DSN / driver installed on the server machine then it's just a matter of passing the UID/PW in the workflow's Input Tool.  I believe the DSN name has to be the same as the DSN name on the server machines as well to leverage the driver, but it does not need to be a data connection entry on the Alteryx server.

Thanks!

sean_bolte_dup_544
8 - Asteroid

So does this also mitigate issues with UID/PW access to sensitive data in the instance that the Artisan themselves may not have access into the actual table/view? From a build perspective, this is a forced Text Input action that drives UID/PW entry - per your comment of being passed into the Data Input tool?

When I've built DSN entries, in order for the connection to authenticate a valid UID/PW has to be in place (assuming SQL Server Auth). I was just wondering if you've noticed behavior that for DSN setup in the ODBC DSA, as long as local=server naming is in place, apps pushed to your server will work as well.

akshatoz
7 - Meteor

In Informatica Server we have Native and LDAP authentication modes. This can be addressed by configuring the LDAP authentication mode , but I'm not sure if Alteryx supports the same. Alteryx Gurus please confirm!!