Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alteryx Server and Big Query Connectors

Robin_Johnson
6 - Meteoroid

Hi I am trying to use the Big Query Connectors on Alteryx Server.  They work fine on the Desktop, using a Service to Service Connection.  I have stored the Key File in a location that all users and the Server have access to.  When I upload the Workflow to the gallery I get the following error: 

• Invalid service account keyfile. Check that you specified a valid JSON keyfile. (Tool Id: 1)

If I share the workflow with another user and they try and run it on their desktop they also get the same error.  If they goto the big query connector, log out and then reconnect with the same json key file the workflow runs fine.

However we need the workflow to run on the server.

9 REPLIES 9
carlosteixeira
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Robin_Johnson 

Are you using the service account on your server?

And, are you configured on your Alteryx system settings "Run as' with this service account?

Finally, does this service account have access (permissions) to read the network folder where you save your JSON key file?

Check this and let me know!

Thanks

Carlos A Teixeira
Robin_Johnson
6 - Meteoroid

Hi  No we are not using the service account on the server.  The server is using a system account.  The json key file is for the service account set up on google cloud to use big query.  The json key file is then used in the big query connector with a service to service connection and connects fine on the desktop as soon as someone else opens the workflow or you try to load it to the gallery you get the error message.  If the other person then reconnects the big query connector using the same json key file it works fine, however that is a pain to have to do each time and you cant do that on the Server.

carlosteixeira
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Robin_Johnson 

I imagined that you already have the connector installed on the server, is that correct? If yes, can you do one test?

Try to create one workflow directly inside the Alteryx designer from the server, and publish it on the gallery.

I found on the community one post since 2019 talking about some issues with this connector.

Follow the link

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/BigQuery-Input-Output-Connector-on-Serve...

Let me know if when you create a workflow directly on the server this is working.

Thanks

Carlos A Teixeira
Robin_Johnson
6 - Meteoroid

@carlosteixeira thankyou.I had come across that same post.  My error message is slightly different.  I did however try the registry change that was mentioned in that post.  It did not resolve the issue, it actually then caused the error message to chnage to the same error that was in that post.

omaquar
5 - Atom

Hi All - I am experiencing the same issue. My simple workflow runs successfully on Alteryx Designer and I am having no issues writing to BigQuery tables, yet I am not able to run this on Alteryx Gallery due to the similar error message. My colleague has the same access rights I do, and he is not experiencing any issues running this workflow via the Gallery. Are there any updates towards a resolution for this? Thanks!

Alteryx Designer version 2021.3.1.47945

omaquar_0-1646170618615.png

Robin_Johnson
6 - Meteoroid

I still do not have a resolution.  I have raised a ticket with support.  Will update if I get a resolution

champybh
7 - Meteor

Getting the same error here. I noticed that when saving the workflow to the server the JSON file is not considered a workflow asset to be packaged with the workflow. I'm thinking that I need to rethink the design and put the bigquery connector inside a macro so that we can feed the json key into it as a parameter. Don't love this approach though for security reasons

Robin_Johnson
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, sorry for not posting the solution at the time.  This was eventually solved for us by ensuring the folling registry entry was both on the Server and Desktop machines.

• Type regedit in Windows Start Menu
  • Browse to the folder location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  --  SOFTWARE  -- WOW6432Node -- SRC -- Alteryx
  • Right-click and select New > String Value 
  • Set the KeyName to PythonAllowHideEncryption and the Value to true

champybh
7 - Meteor

Thanks Robin, i saw another thread with this solution described. I admittedly don't love anything that has to do with going in editing the registry across the entire user base but it seems like the consensus is that this is the only option. The documentation about the tool should include this since it's such a critical part in regards to getting this thing running on server.