Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Survey Responses by Manager

CQuinn
5 - Atom

Hi everyone, 

I'm relatively new to Alteryx and I am working on a dataset that has multiple survey responses per manager for use in PowerBI. I need to do the following things: 

1. Replace the survey response values to either postive or negative only (I believe I can do this with find and replace?)
  2. Calculate the % of each answer for each question by manager

Manager #

Q1

Q2

Agree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly Disagree

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly Agree

Strongly Agree

Agree

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
TheMattLeonard
8 - Asteroid

You can definitely accomplish the positive/negative question with find and replace, though I prefer to use the Join tool in most cases like this.

You'll first need to create a mapping file, which you can do in Excel or with a Text Input Tool in Alteryx. You just need two columns where one column is every possible answer (4 by my count) and the other column is whether it's positive or negative.

Before joining this to your data set, you'll need to transpose it. Attach a transpose tool to your Manager answers and select Manager # as your key column, and all the questions as your Data Columns. 

You can then use a Join tool to go between your manager answers and your positive/negative mapping.

I'll be honest, I'm a little unclear on what you mean on Item 2, but I imagine a Summarize Tool will come next in accomplishing what you need to.

Hope this helps!

CQuinn
5 - Atom

This does help, thank you!

Labels