Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing after a word

NikitaShetty
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I'm trying to use the RegEx function to parse the data after the word 'DIS T' so that I can then use the space delimiter to break this down into separate columns. 

nshetty_1-1596058838512.png

Could someone please help me with this? I have tried 20 odd functions but I'm unable to figure this out.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How about this in Regex parse mode

.+DIS T\s+(.+)\s+(.+)\s+(.+)

NikitaShetty
5 - Atom

Hi David, 

That works partially, the first set of digits (30.00) gets tagged to the 8.99- in the same column and then I get the last set separately (20.99):

nshetty_0-1596065326952.png

How can I tweak the expression to get the middle '8.99-' in the separate column? 

Thanks!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Try this

.+DIS T\s+([\d\.-]+)\s+([\d\.-]+)\s+([\d\.-]+)

DavidP_0-1596065476971.png

NikitaShetty
5 - Atom

Hi David, 

Thanks a mil - This works like a charm!

Could you just let me know what the expression actually translates too? It might help me to figure out solutions in the future!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'll break it down from left to right:

some stuff:         .+   

followed by:        DIS T 

followed by a space or more:      \s+

followed by a set that consists of numbers and/or dots and/or minuses:   ([\d\.-]+)

followed by a set that consists of numbers and/or dots and/or minuses:   ([\d\.-]+)

The 3 sets of () define the 3 columns you're looking to parse the data to.

Hope this makes sense.

NikitaShetty
5 - Atom

That's perfect, thanks David! Also, I realised you were training us for alteryx today (PwC). Funny coincidence 🙂

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@NikitaShetty, that is such a funny coincidence!

Labels