Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing XML with Multiple Outer Structures

amc77
5 - Atom

I have an XML that has multiple structures in it at the Invoice and Line level and I am trying to find a good way to parse this.  The XML structure is such that a batch can have multiple invoices, and invoice can have multiple lines.  However, certain address elements can be populated at either (or both) the invoice and the line level.  I can't figure out how to parse the child element (such as BILL_TO) and determine what invoice/line it came from.

<BATCH>

<INVOICE1>

<BILL_TO>

<SHIP_TO>

<LINE1>

<BILL_TO>

<SHIP_TO>

<LINE2>

<SHIP_TO>

<INVOICE2>

<LINE1>

<BILL_TO>

<LINE2>

<BILL_TO>

My end goal is to have every single line parsed to a single row in a table with the batch/invoice header details repeating for each line.  I've gotten about 50% of the way there but I'm stuck on these structural elements that are repeated at the invoice and line level.

Any creative ideas would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have a look at the Parse XML macro. It flattens multi-layered XML files and then you can manipulate the data yourself after that. You can find it on the public Alteryx Gallery, but here's a copy attached.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

As a leader in the Alteryx Community, I have the ability to identify & mark accepted solutions on behalf of community members - and recently did so on this thread. If you have any questions or concerns with the solution(s) I selected please let me know by replying to this post.

Learn more about Accepted Solutions here.

Thank you!

MoinShaikBasha
7 - Meteor

This is a great macro where we are getting all the data, however I see the data is coming in 2 columns. Can we have the data in a tabular format where Name and value columns are crosstabbed and the data will be in a Tabular format based on the data structure. I am finding it difficult to stack the relevant data in a column.

Labels