Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro/App Error: The Tool ID is not in the document

TheMattLeonard
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I've encountered this issue a few times now, but was never able to find a straight forward fix to directly my problem until today. I use these community pages a lot for troubleshooting so I thought I would post my problem and solution for the first time in the hopes it helps someone out. Alteryx is obviously aware of the issue because they have an official page about the error. However they only offer the solution of "open prior version, check autorecovered files, try .bak files" which just didn't cut it for me. (Error: "The Tool ID [id] Is not in the document" - Alteryx Community)

My issue was that whenever I clicked on my batch macro icon, the configuration would not load and Alteryx would generate this message (An Unhandled Exception occurred):

TheMattLeonard_1-1680625485170.png

Upon right clicking the macro and selecting open, or upon trying to open the macro directly from File Explorer, the workflow would not load and I would receive this message (The Tool ID X is not in the document.)

TheMattLeonard_0-1680625100000.png

What causes this error is deleting an input file from the macro that at any point was attached to a control parameter or other interface tool or was converted to a macro input (this is where the bug in the Alteryx code is I believe). When this happens, a blank question remains in the code for that tool (in my case tool 1), but since that tool has been deleted the question generates the error that the specific tool is not in the document. It is quite annoying that this error prevents you from opening the workflow entirely. I've encountered this issue in the past and ended up starting over after not getting anywhere troubleshooting. 

The solution is to edit the macro via text file.

1. Locate Macro Workflow in File Explorer
  2. Right Click
  3. Select Open With
  4. Select Notepad
  5. Ctrl+F "<Questions>"
  6. Find the Question pertaining to your missing Tool. Here is what mine looked like:

TheMattLeonard_2-1680626731037.png

7. Delete everything from the <Question> to the </Question> tag pertaining to your missing tool. For me it what is everything highlighted.
  8. Save Text File
  9. Close

For me at least that fixed the issue and I was able to open the macro again. I really hope Alteryx can fix this issue in a future update.

Hope this was helpful!

7 REPLIES 7
hjiang1217
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!!! I was soo upset encountering this problem and you saved me so much time rebuilding the whole workflow!!

acowpy
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much! This fixed my issue. Have you opened a support case for this? If not I will open one to try to get it fixed

TheMattLeonard
8 - Asteroid

I'm glad that it helped! I have not opened a support case so feel free!

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@TheMattLeonard 

Thank you.  You just saved hours of my work.

Egossett4
5 - Atom

This is amazing, thank you!!  I've been struggling with this issue all week, and searched and searched for answers.  Thank you thank you!!!

LDUSER
5 - Atom

This saved me hours of re-work. Thank you!!

hta0112
5 - Atom

Thank you thank you!!!!

Labels