Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to remove invisible space?

JinOnn
8 - Asteroid

I tried to use replace and the cleansing tool to remove the space for the second row of chinese characters but it didn't work.

There is a big gap between the parentheses but when I highlight them, it is counted as 1 along with the space.

JinOnn_0-1631270614895.png

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @JinOnn 

Can you post the actual text rather than a screenshot? This is probably a character that looks like a space but isn't actually the space that comes from your spacebar.

Try putting it into the below site to see what you're working with.

https://www.babelstone.co.uk/Unicode/whatisit.html 

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Open the file with something like a hex editor to determine what character is there and then you can use a formula tool with REGEX_REPLACE.  

JinOnn
8 - Asteroid

With the link that you provided, I was able to identify it as U+FF08 : FULLWIDTH LEFT PARENTHESIS, which is different from a regular parenthesis. Because of that I managed to use the formula tool to replace it with a standard parenthesis. My only question is, what is the actual purpose for a fullwidth left parenthesis compared to a standard parenthesis?

JinOnn
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response. I used 'Replace'  and it worked as well. I replaced " (" with "("

Labels