Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I use the Detour Tool to flow to more than two paths?

cgarcia0622
7 - Meteor

I am trying to create an app that asks what level of detail you would like to see the data. I have four total options, each that need to be calculated a different way. I have figured out how to do it exactly as I need but with only 2 options and paths, left and right. Is there a way I can make this work with four paths that asks me the level of detail on one dialog box?   A solution with or without utilizing the detour tool is fine.

Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14
AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Here is a sample app that uses a drop down to accomplish your use case! I can't say for sure whether radio buttons would work or not, but the drop down seemed simpler to me.

cgarcia0622
7 - Meteor

Hi Andrew, thanks for the quick response! Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the workflow? I am getting an error opening the file due to my Alteryx version.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing. Here is the screenshot you requested. Also, are you getting an error or a warning? I don't think anything in here would not work in a prior version.

Screenshot.png

Drop Down.png

Update Value 1.pngUpdate Value 2.png

cgarcia0622
7 - Meteor

I'm getting this error message, which I've gotten before, but for some reason this file still doesn't open like the other times. 

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Very strange. Are you able to build the workflow yourself then? Feel free to post if you need anymore help!

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is a problem for analytic apps especially if the creator has a more advanced version than the user. The only way around this is either: 

• Build a version yourself
  • Have the builder downgrade their version to yours & build again

Though I doubt Option 2 since it’s quite a messy process to downgrade. Perhaps @AndrewDMerrill can send you the XML and also the configurations of each tool to match - so that you can build it yourself as part of self training.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
DataNath
17 - Castor

@cgarcia0622 you should be able to edit the underlying XML in order to force a downgrade instead of needing to rebuild anything:

1) Open the Alteryx app in a text editor

2) Near the very top there’s a line with ‘AlteryxDocument yxmdVer=‘, followed by the version that was used to create it

3) Change this version (in quotations) to whatever you’re using and save the file

4) Open in Alteryx

Whenever messing with underlying XML I’d always recommend making a copy first in case you accidentally corrupt the file. Doesn’t look like there’s anything specific to new versions in the workflow above so this ought to help.

cgarcia0622
7 - Meteor

Hi Andrew, could you post the formulas you have for the 3 action tools? I think these are the only pieces I am missing.

Thank you.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

If you are editing each action tool from left to right the formulae look like this:

Leftmost: IF ToNumber([#1])>1 THEN "True" ELSE "False" ENDIF

Update Value 2.png

Middle: IF ToNumber([#1])=3 THEN "True" ELSE "False" ENDIF

Update Value 3.png

Rightmost: IF ToNumber([#1])=1 THEN "True" ELSE "False" ENDIF

Update Value 4.png

Labels