Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grab data from particular data element from HTML of web page

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

Hi community

I have a public web page here as an example:

https://aca-prod.accela.com/MILARA/GeneralProperty/LicenseeDetail.aspx?LicenseeNumber=2901014894&Lic...

I need Alteryx to pull the License Expiration Date which in this case is 9/29/2024

I have a WF attached to pull the HTML. 

I am not HTML expert, but it looks like the below is the element I need:

<div>
<a id="ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_ucConditon_gdvConditionList_ctl01_lnkExpirationDateHeader" title="Expiration Date " onclick="SetNotAskForSPEAR();" href="javascript&colon;__doPostBack(&#39;ctl00$PlaceHolderMain$ucConditon$gdvConditionList$ctl01$lnkExpirationDateHeader&#39;,&#39;&#39;)"><span>Expiration Date </span></a>
</div>

how do I get Alteryx to read the actual expiration in so that the data shows 9/29/2024

Thank you!!!

4 REPLIES 4
acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @MemphLantAntonio.

There seems to be an issue with the data received from your request using the Download tool.

Have you considered using Python instead? I mention this because Python is well suited to scraping data from HTML using libraries such as Beautiful Soup and Selenium.

MemphLantAntonio
8 - Asteroid

I just noticed that, you are right, if I "save" as the page to look at the HTML from Edge, I see the Expiration Date in the HTML, but that is not in the WF results that come out of the download tool

Python or R were going to be my next steps but was hoping to be able to do this in Alteryx

acarter881
12 - Quasar

@MemphLantAntonio yeah that may be tough to debug in Designer. I highly suggest Python, especially since ChatGPT has a Code Interpreter (in Beta mode, available if you pay for the monthly subscription) which is great at helping with Python.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MemphLantAntonio 

If you want to keep an Alteryx framework around the project, maybe for scheduling on the server, have a look at this Article that gives examples of how to use Selenium within Alteryx.

Dan 

Labels