Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Getting an access token from OAUTH2

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Im trying to access an API that contains training information on individuals in my company - the API is using OAuth2 to issue a token but I cant get it to do that!  The developer that Im working with, has Postman installed on his machine and can request and get a token without issue but I get the following error:

{"status":"401","timeStamp":"2020-10-28T15:39:25+0000","error":{"errorId":"5b4095aa-e582-43ac-86a1-8508a3e9520c","message":null,"code":"invalid_client","description":"invalid_client","details":null}}

I have the Download tool setup as follows (I have put asterisks in place of the actual ClientID and Secret :

craigja_0-1603900725740.png

I dont see what Im doing wrong, or different from Postman!  

14 REPLIES 14
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@alt_tush - @BrandonB would be the one to ask - but I'd strongly recommend posting some information on your errors. API's aren't the kind of thing were you have a lift and shift workflow and suddenly everything is awesome. This is usually because:

1) Security. Tokens/ClientIDs/ClientSecrets are specific to individuals and if I'm building a workflow that works for me - it will not work for you unless I compromise my credentials (and vice versa).

2) Wildly different APIs - without knowing what you are building an API for (ie what the API schema is) it can be totally off.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@alt_tush, this is a two download tool process. The first download tool has to call an authentication endpoint and pass the client ID, secret, etc. You put this endpoint in a Text input tool and then follow it with a Download tool where you enter the appropriate headers/payload. 

Please take a look at this link for some images of workflow examples and a walk through of working with APIs: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/APIs-for-Beginners-Integrate-All-the-Systems/ba-p/8074... 

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hell oapathetichell,

Yes, you are right. It is not simply lift and shift the workfow. But I just want to understand the steps if i want to implement the API connectivity using Alteryx what all steps or parameters are required.

Thank you for your response :)

bny_abo
6 - Meteoroid

Does anyone have a curl command version of getting the authorization token specifying the API Key and Secret?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Use postman and toggle to show code.

Labels