Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting Error (Multi-Field Formula)

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi SME,

I have a set of numbers - all double - and I'm trying to convert them into currency format.  For example, I have 5235.32342 and want it to show up as $5,235.32.  I used the Multi-Field Formula with the following formula:  '$'+ToString([_CurrentField_],2,1) and I kept the error that says "The formula - field name - resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct.

I tried to incorporate the suggest ToNumber into the above formula as follows:  '$'+ToString(ToNumber([_CurrentField_]),2,1).  Now, I got the error that says "The formula - field name - resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct.

What am I missing in this error loop?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

K

10 REPLIES 10
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm Seems to be you are trying to update the same variable of type fixed decimal to string. you need to create a new column and apply your formula instead of updating the same column which is in numeric type. The Multi-Field formula tool has the option to change the data type of the same field but the formula tool doesn't support that functionality 

Labels