Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting Error (Multi-Field Formula)

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi SME,

I have a set of numbers - all double - and I'm trying to convert them into currency format.  For example, I have 5235.32342 and want it to show up as $5,235.32.  I used the Multi-Field Formula with the following formula:  '$'+ToString([_CurrentField_],2,1) and I kept the error that says "The formula - field name - resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct.

I tried to incorporate the suggest ToNumber into the above formula as follows:  '$'+ToString(ToNumber([_CurrentField_]),2,1).  Now, I got the error that says "The formula - field name - resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct.

What am I missing in this error loop?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

K

10 REPLIES 10
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @knnwndlm 

Select the Change Output Type to String. Check the attached workflow if necessary.

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1665438319255.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1665438353101.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm the same formula is working for me. Can you check the configuration of the given worklow?

binuacs_0-1665438283992.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @knnwndlm, did you ensure to set this option in the Multi-Field Formula configuration? If not, the outgoing fields' data type will still be numeric, hence the error:

Output MFF as string.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Thank you All!  It's missing Output Type - hence, the error.

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

How do I apply the Round formula to the formatting expression?  I got an error with the following:  '$'+ToString(Round([_CurrentField_]),1),2,1).  The error kept saying wrong number of parameters for the function ROUND.  

Thanks,

K

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm 

'$'+toSTring(Round([_CurrentField_],0.01),2,1)
knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs 

When I created a Var % field as a Fixed Decimal, I tried to apply the Round formula in the Formula tool as follows:  ToString(Round([VAR %]*100,0.1))+'%'.  I kept getting the error "The formula VAR % resulted in a string but the field is numeric.  Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct."

I don't understand this. It's already numeric so why is the error telling me to add ToNumber().  If I added it, I got the same error. What I want to get is to convert something like 0.0357 tp 3.6%

Please help me understand.

Thanks,

Konn

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm Check your data type of the variable VAR%, make sure that it is string type

binuacs_0-1665440768233.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

Interesting!  That's almost exactly what I have and still got the error.  I couldn't change the Data type to String.  It's got stuck as Fixed Decimal.

I was able to get it to work with ToString(Round([_CurrentField_]*100,0.1),1,1)+'%' in the Multi-Field Formula tool.  Still don't understand why Formula tool's not working.

Thanks,

Konn

Labels