Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Embedded new lines

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have a cell which contains embedded new lines. This cell basically has a summary of all work that has been done on a ticket. This may include communication through chat, emails and updates pertaining to the ticket. This information is extracted from SNOW as a csv file which serves as the input for Alteryx. I need to use these cells from the column to look for certain keywords and phrases for analysis in Alteryx. But when I am outputting the information only the first line is being extracted. How do I make the whole data appear in every cell. 

Thanks and regards,

Nithin

28 REPLIES 28
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker when you use \0 as a delimiter it will combine each line into filed then you need to parse using a text-column tool or regex. Would you be able to upload a sample input file?

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

Here you go. This is just a stripped down version of the actual file. But when you input this file into alteryx you can see that the whole data from the "comments and work notes" column is not being read.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker attaching the workflow, please review the output and check what is missing

binuacs_0-1676289879942.png

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

I see that the columns are back in order. However the data represented underneath is not. All the data from the other columns follow a similar structure. But here you can see parts of the comments and work notes column appearing in other columns as well. Is there a way to fix that?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker I used the , delimiter and working as expected

binuacs_0-1676290563005.png

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs 

Can you tell me the exact step by step actions you did to achieve this?

Can you send a screenshot of the dynamic rename settings you used.

I am unable to download the file you posted. :(

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker What is the error you are getting when trying to download the workflow? below are the screen shot of the configuration for the input tool and dynamic rename

binuacs_0-1676293153015.png

binuacs_1-1676293172193.png

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs,

Unsure why I am unable to download the file. However, yes the settings you suggested worked!! 😁

Thanks for your help!

Nithin

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker Great!! good to know that the solution worked for you!!

Labels