Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically Stack Rendered Tables

gabrielpastolero
5 - Atom

Hi! 

I just want to ask if there is a way for me to dynamically stack rendered tables? I currently have a visual layout tool that stacks 8 tables. But there are cases that not all tables will have data and be available. Currently, if not all tables are available, I do not get any output on the visual layout tool. Below are my current and ideal scenarios:

Current Scenario:

8 tables present - No problem and stacks all of them

Less than 8 tables present - No output and do not stack available tables

Ideal Scenario:

8 tables present - No problem and stacks all tables

Less than 8 tables present (ex. 3 tables) - No problem and 3 tables will be stacked. 

I am using v2020.04 by the way. 

Thank you very much!

4 REPLIES 4
harshendra
8 - Asteroid

@gabrielpastolero Hope that you are creating tables using the Reporting tools in Alteryx. If yes, after the tables are created, use a Union Tool to stack the tables on top of each other. In that case, even if any one of them is missing, you will not get an error and will get an output fron the Layout tool.

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@gabrielpastolero depending on how the workflow is structured, you can even get away without using a Union tool following your usage of a Table tool. In the Table tool, there is a Group By option that you can select which will create a table for each unique value in the field or fields that are used, and then it'll generate table objects for each value that can be used elsewhere in your workflow.

When able, would you mind posting the original workflow so we can help troubleshoot what's going on?

gabrielpastolero
5 - Atom

Hello! Im sharing a picture of a part of the workflow. The two inputs Container 290 and 291. They are intended to go to a visual layout tool or a union tool. But as I said, I am having trouble with the visual layout tool since I am encountering errors. I also tried using a usion tool, and tested if only 1 out of 8 inputs are present, but I still encountered an error. Thank you very much!

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Not an expert in visual layout tool but I'm 95% sure that it is not natively a dynamic tool. Post some sample data/sample workflow with what you want - and I might be able to look at it - but I think Visual Layout is not your friend here. It really requires specific fields to be mapped to specific locations.... Dynamic fields would require mapping (via a batch macro/editing the xml/etc) so controlling tool is quite complicated if possible.

Labels