Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Drop Down Tool output

LarryRippe
7 - Meteor

Trying to understand what happens to the RecordID value in a DropDown Tool.  If I select 'BBB' from the DropDown, what happens to the associated Record ID of 2?  Is it possible for this value to be passed to the Action tool so that I can then retain the Record ID for later use?

This is actually part of a larger task that I am working on where I need the user to be able to select a record from a table so that the user can then modify various values in the associated row and then update that row in the table.  

LarryRippe_0-1669128203424.png

LarryRippe_4-1669128294408.png

LarryRippe_1-1669128227931.png

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @LarryRippe this already happens in the app you've created. In your second screenshot, these are just NAME:VALUE pairs that are passed to the dropbox for the sake of displaying an option to the end user, which then act upon the filter when being passed through the Action tool. Within your filter, you'll pull through the entire record where this condition is true and so yes, the RecordID will be present along with any other data that sits within the row:

DataNath_0-1669129042157.png

One thing to note is, when I first downloaded your app, you had all Browse ticked in the Interface Designer (Ctrl+Alt+D). However, if you're only interested in what satisfies the filter condition (i.e. Field1 = BBB) then you'll only want to tick (show the end user) this particular Browse:

DataNath_1-1669129158681.png

LarryRippe
7 - Meteor

Thank your sir.  My example was for illustrations purposes.  I actually select a value from the DropDown and then use the associated RecordId in the selection.  Is that possible?

LarryRippe_0-1669129916345.png

LarryRippe
7 - Meteor

Attached is a closer representation of my issue but it does not work.  I want to select in the dropdown based on a description but then use a record ID to filter the row.

Labels