Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I delete a summary row and all information after the summary row

mc_ryan
6 - Meteoroid

My excel spreadsheet has header and footers. I started the data import on line 4, but how do I stop it at the summary row and everything after?

12 REPLIES 12
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mc_ryan 

Without seeing the data it's hard to say, but it could be as easy as leveraging a filter tool, or if there are many records you could use a multirow formula tool to generate a flag to filter out.

DenisZ
11 - Bolide

Alteryx will import it all after line 4. You could then use a Sample tool to extract the first X rows if you want from that or Select Records tool to do the same task. 

Hope it helps. 

mc_ryan
6 - Meteoroid

It is a data extract and the number of rows are different every time.  I have attached a screen shot. Does that help?

mc_ryan
6 - Meteoroid

mc_ryan_0-1669127422790.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mc_ryan 

Here's an example using a multirow formula to flag which rows to filter out:

Luke_C_0-1669127612268.png

mc_ryan
6 - Meteoroid

That worked! Thank you. I have a couple rows that have longer names and it creates a 2nd row, but the row is blank. Do I use the same thing to remove those? How do you know what words to use for example you made this "If [Invoice ID] = "Summary" then 1 else [Row-1:Flag] endif"?

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @mc_ryan 

To answer your last question, the key word is Summary in the Mutli row formula.

That you can replace by any where you want to eliminate the records below.

Breaking down the function for you, 

If [Invoice ID] = "Summary" then 1 else [Row-1:Flag] endif

When it finds the word summary, it places the 1.

Post which below for all the remaining rows the condition will fail, but else states that you need to input [Row-1:Flag]

i.e it will take and fill the previous value 

So it will give the same output even the next line is null or empty.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mc_ryan 

You'd have to look at your data to figure out the appropriate trigger for the flag, from the screenshot I saw it looked like 'Summary' in the first column kicks off the rows you don't want. This would fall apart if higher up in the data there's another record that equals "Summary". 

My example would filter out any records below the record containing "Summary". Are you referring to blank rows within your actual dataset?

mc_ryan
6 - Meteoroid

It does, but the other empty rows are randomly throughout the data like this: 

mc_ryan_0-1669129385963.png

Labels