Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Reconciliation Assist

KevinQVo
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am trying to think of a way to reconcile old data vs new data. In the image attached, there's a row that says, "outstanding as of previous day." Is there a way, that I can create a workflow that will record the old data to be used when I input a new set of data? Please let me know if you need further explanation on my request! 

8 REPLIES 8
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@KevinQVo If you have both old and new datasets then you can use it in the same workflow and create the reconciliation report

KevinQVo
7 - Meteor

@binuacs 

Hi, 

Thank you for responding. 

Currently, I have one input tool in my workflow. The excel is ran through the workflow to reproduce data that I need. I need to take the data and reconcile it with the new data. If I change the input file to a newer file, would it get rid of the old data? I attached an imaged of my current workflow.  

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Depending on where the data is coming from, you'll either need a second input tool to grab the previous data, or if its all from the same data source, then you'd use one input tool and filter by date run (for example).

You are correct that if you change the input file (in a single Input Tool) to a newer file, you would no longer have access to the file that got replaced.

KevinQVo
7 - Meteor

@AndrewDMerrill 

Hi Andrew, 

I hope you are doing well! Thank you for the response! 

Yes, unfortunately, it is not from the same data source. The file gets changed daily. As we discussed yesterday, I wonder if it's possible for me to create an output for the initial run of the workflow. Then, use another input tool to grab the data that was just produced.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

You can definitely output to a .yxdb, or .xlsx (or whatever else you'd like) and then use that Output as Input for successive/newer runs of the workflow that you can compare against.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@KevinQVo I am thinking there might be an easy way for your use-case, can you explain the steps for your reconciliation process?

KevinQVo
7 - Meteor

@binuacs 

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. Sure, I can explain it in detail. Also, I will supply the images to add support to my goal. 

Image 6 - is the goal pivot table

"outstanding as of previous day" - this is the total amount of line items from the data that ran through the workflow. I would like to record this data to be used the next time I run the workflow with a new input. 

"outstanding as of today" - is basically the total line items from the workflow that is ran today. (this line item will become "outstanding as of previous day" the next time the workflow is ran) 

"new breaks today" - this is easy to identify because the line items has the present date as a unique identifier. 

"cleared breaks today" - is formula driven item. [outstanding as of previous day] + [new breaks today] - [outstanding as of today]

Please let me know if you require any further explanation. 

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

I may be misunderstanding still, and I'm not sure exactly what your input data looks like that you're working with, but I put together a sample workflow to showcase a possible solution:

Screenshot.png

Labels