Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Compare Name Columns

Raj008
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am working on a workflow where I have two data sets, I need to check the first, middle and last names in both data sets and if data for those three columns match exactly, i create a list out of it. The middel initials in both the data sets are differing slightly, for eg., Smith in the one data set and S in another data set, likewise J. in one data set and J in another dataset. Can you please help me how to get the results.

Thanks,

Raj...

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Raj008 

You can use a join tool to compare all 3 fields. The J output would be any that match identically, and the L and R outputs would show records that did not join up correctly. 

See attached for a simple example with the names

Luke_C_0-1616780298636.png

Raj008
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Luke... My requirement is, I need to have them as a match...in one dataset the name is John S Roger with id 123 and in another dataset the name is John Sean Roger and id is 123, i want this as a match..

Thanks in advance... 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Raj008 

If the ID's are the same between the dataset then just join on ID and disregard the name. If you can provide some sample data that might help get to the best answer. From there you can run filters or formulas to compare the names.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Raj008 

Look into the Fuzzy Match tool.   The basic concept for your workflow will be

1) Join on ID, First, Middle and Last.  This will remove the ones that match exactly and also make the Fuzzy Match run much faster

2) For the ones the don't match, concatenate the first, middle and last names and send them through the Fuzzy Match Tool using Name as Match style.  This will give you a score based on how similar the names are to each other.

Dan

Labels