Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Allowing app to run without user selecting files for ALL browsing option

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

I have an Alteryx app that asks users to input 5 different files using 5 different browsing options. Sometimes, the user may not have all 5 files to browse. So I am wondering if there is a way the workflow can still run when, for e.g., a user browses 4 files and leave 1 browse option empty. Hopefully, I am clear. Thank you for your time. 

17 REPLIES 17
itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

itssumanb_0-1633641794278.png

Hi @mceleavey I understand and that is where I have my Dummy File saved. I have attached a pic showing its location. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@itssumanb ,

yes, so did you change that in the action tools?

Bulien

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey , All 5 Action tools already have the formula you provided which looks like this:

if isnull([#1]) then "C:\Users\SBhattar\Desktop\Test file\Dummy File.xlsx" else [#1] endif

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@itssumanb ,

sorry...my mistake.

Change isnull to isempty in the action tool formula.

that should work.

M

Bulien

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey 

After changing the formula to isEmpty it worked perfectly on the Designer but on the server, it says "Can't find the file: "C:\Users\SBhattar\Desktop\Test file\Dummy File.xlsx". Make sure the file path is correct" so I guess this has to do with the sharing restriction or something like that? 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@itssumanb ,

No, that's simply because the server is not looking at your C drive, and you those interface tools are not supported on the server.

See this article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Folder-Browse-Not-Available-on-Galler...

That is a completely different issue, however.

So if this is working on designer can you mark this as solved and perhaps raise the deployment of the file picker tool on the gallery in the server discussion section?

Thanks,

M.

Bulien

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey Sure I can mark it as solved since it did solve my issue on Designer. 

I am wondering if there is a way for me to embed the Dummy File, which essentially is a blank file, within the workflow itself in that way it doesn't have to look outside the app if the browse is Empty. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @itssumanb ,

glad I could help. Yes, you should look into using the TEMP directory and packaging it with the workflow.

M.

Bulien

Labels