Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

How to tag Alteryx Connect data source entities like database/table/column using REST API?

mohitjoshi
6 - Meteoroid

I want to add tags to the data source entities like database, table, column using Alteryx Connect REST API.  

13 REPLIES 13
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi There, I am looking at using the tags feature in order to automatically categorise any workflows that come from a specific Alteryx Server instance as 'development'.

I've followed the instructions outlined in the solution and I have succesfully loaded data into the 'LOADED_TAGS' table, as show in the screenshot below...

BenMoss_0-1667290282059.png

BenMoss_1-1667290325455.png

However when I navigate to one of these XID's via the Alteryx Connect UI the tags are not displaying, as shown in the image below...

BenMoss_2-1667290636192.png

Is there a specific job that needs to be executed in order to display these items in the UI?

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Investigating this a bit more it seems like the relationships aren't getting created between the tags and workflows. There is nothing in this thread to suggest additional development is required beyond loading data into the 'LOAD_TAGS' table with the respective parents XIDs.

@OndrejC @PetrH can you advise?

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @BenMoss ,

first of all this is stage table maintained by the loaders.
In this case its called for example in database loaders Google BigQuery and Azure data catalog, but only for the related objects. 

PetrH_0-1667313350420.png

Its not working by default -  for example on your case for workflows.
to make it working, it would require to customize sync job, which is not really recommended and it needs to be re-implemented on each upgrade.

I am also concerned, that the subject of this thread is update tags by API which means the setting this by accessing connect endpoints not stage tables.

PetrH_1-1667313645830.png

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Thank you again @PetrH .

I've worked extensively with the API over the last week. To me it seems the way in which you would add tags to an asset in an automated fashion would be through the 'Upload File' endpoint. Is that correct? I don't see how any of the other end-points could be utilized in this scenario.

Ben