Welcome & Introductions

Get to know the people behind the avatar! Introduce yourself, welcome peers, build connections & extend your network.

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the Community. We'd love to get to know you!

Learn More

Gman805

Gmac805
5 - Atom

Hello everyone. I'm a 90 day license holder with the intent of gaining a core certification but I am a complete novice. The quick Youtube video on the program downloads didn't mesh with what I was presented with after entering my 90 day license key. I will look for some guidance already posted on the community forum. If you have any advice on the downloads and on the certification training please share.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Carson
5 - Atom

Hi Gman805!

I don't have any advice on the 90 day license download, but I can share my experience with the core certification process.

I got my core certification about 7 months ago. Prior to that I had only about 3-4 months of experience with the tool spread out over the course of a year so I was just on the border of the recommended time with the tool prior to attempting certification.

I will say start off with the most commonly used tools in the Knowledge section of the site. The Alteryx Knowledge hub is fantastic and you can load examples into Alteryx on-demand in-tool so that you can follow along.

When I first started exploring certification, the setup was different. It used to be that you had to register for the test and then had 3 test attempts within that month. If you didn't pass then you had to wait another month before re-registering.

Now the certification process lets you take the test as many times as you need without delays (at least when I took it, not sure if anything additional has changed since then) which makes the process much less daunting. With this in mind, my best advice is this: study the basic tools that will be covered on the test and play around with them so that you understand the main differences between common tools and how to work through common data scenarios. Don't expect to know everything about the tools they will test on. It's a core certification so there is no expectation of mastery of any of the tools.

Once you have a basic understanding of how to get around the software, I say just take the test. There's no cost or punishment for failing and one of the best things you can do is begin to understand the format. The test is not easy compared to core exams of other software products and keeps you guessing even on re-takes. So study, don't shoot for perfection, don't fear failure, and good luck!

Gmac805
5 - Atom

Thank you Carson. I will heed all that you said. 

Labels