Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Grand Rapids, MI

Welcome to the Grand Rapids User Group

Click in the JOIN GROUP button to follow our news and attend our events!

August 7th Meeting Recap

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Thanks to all who were there and a special thanks to Farmer's for hosting us!  For those not in attendance, your FOMO was well warranted.

• Inspire Recap and reasons to plan for #Alteryx19 in Nashville
  • CReW Macros - Where to find them, Why to look for them and how to get involved with them
  • Alteryx Server - Round table discussion and knowledge sharing
  • Alteryx Roadmap
  • Plan for another Tuesday afternoon meeting for our next session

Want to see our pictures?

IMG_2402.JPGIMG_2403.jpgIMG_2408.JPGIMG_2407 (2).JPG

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
8 REPLIES 8
LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Untitled-design-41

Do I spy a wild @ggruccio? Looks like an awesome meeting. Thanks for sharing. :)

4ensiccpa
6 - Meteoroid

Enjoyed the meeting, thank you! I have tried to download the CReW macro and it appears to download, but when I look at the toolbar, I don't have the new tool category. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've included a screenshot of the install results. Thanks in advance!CReW Macro Install.PNG

Rant
7 - Meteor

@4ensiccpa

Did you Restart Alteryx and then scroll over? I just want to make sure you did this because this usually fixes this issue.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Did you close and then reopen Alteryx?
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
4ensiccpa
6 - Meteoroid

I did, good thought though, thank you!

4ensiccpa
6 - Meteoroid

Rant and MarqueeCrew,

Thanks for the input. I was able to get help from someone internally at my firm. This will show you my lack of "techiness", but I misinterpreted the "extract" step of the instructions as just saving the Install.yxwz file onto my computer, rather than the entire zip file. Thank you again!

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes @LaurenU it was a great trip!

@MarqueeCrew@Rant@patrick_mcauliffe, and @JordanHowell do an awesome job!

joewkelly
7 - Meteor

I had a great time at the meeting. I wanted to share what I've done for file compares --

I have an R tool with this code:

df1 <- read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")
df2 <- read.Alteryx("#2", mode="data.frame")

library(dplyr)

df1_only <- anti_join(df1, df2)
df2_only <- anti_join(df2, df1)

write.Alteryx(df1_only, 1)
write.Alteryx(df2_only, 2)

The stuff that is only in the first dataset is output to "1", and the stuff that is only in the second dataset is output to "2".  Now, this only compares on columns that are in common. So if you have a field called "Begin Date" and you try to compare it to "Begin Date (mm/dd/yyyy)", it will ignore those columns altogether.  If you want to compare them, you can rename the appropriate columns with a select.  This is the equivalent of a Join transformation where you map every single column to map between the datasets.  So if you happen to have a one-to-many, I wouldn't catch that.

I haven't yet installed the CREW macros.  One thing that I thought was cool was how you could tell which columns were different.  One way I accomplish this is:

From R tool, select "1", then go to a Select Records transformation, select row 1 for example.

From R tool, select "2" into a Join.  Then unselect Unknown, and map the "Select Records" as the right.  Join on your primary key.

Union the output from the Select Record and the inner Join.  This gives you at least one record to compare between the two systems you are comparing against.

(If necessary, you could select "Set a Specific Order Output" in the Union so that you know which record is which in the union.)

One caveat - when data goes through an R tool, spaces and special characters are converted to periods.  So, "Begin Date" becomes "Begin.Date".

I attached a template.

Best wishes,