General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Need help with 'Batch Macros'

akshay20558
5 - Atom

Hello,

Needed some help with 'Batch Macros'

Required to run a same workflow on multiple files (schedules) stored in a single folder. The names of all the files are in the format 'Month - Site Location - Schedule XX'.

The relationships in the workflow are such that all the files in the folder needs to be compared against one of the files within the same folder.

For example if there are 3 files in the folder as

1)'Oct - Canada - Schedule 1'

2)'Oct - Canada - Schedule 2'

3)'Oct - Canada - Master Schedule'

The workflow is designed to calculate the difference between

1) Schedule 1 and Master Schedule

2) Schedule 2 and Master Schedule

I was able to build this for data sets limited to one month! But now I am struggling with extending this to an engine where I can run this every month. As in, now the folder will have schedules for both October and November, and the workflow must be able to pick the master schedule of only October and compare with other schedules of October only and then repeat the same for November.

Not sure the explanation is sufficient here :( but would appreciate any inputs and suggestions

2 REPLIES 2
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're on the right track. The simple way is to use a Directory tool as the input function for all your files. Then, use a batch macro to load all the data in - split them between month - location - schedule (vs master), then aggregate them using Summarize to get your comparisons. 

By right, your only need for a batch macro is to upload the files and get you what you need - if you want to batch the whole process, that is also doable. 

If you need some guidance... Please provide relevant data to this use case, and kindly provide your criteria in as much detail as possible. If you have a workflow built halfway, kindly export that over as well. To export a workflow go to: Options > Export Workflow. Kindly do NOT send a "Save As" copy.

Don't forget to @ tag me otherwise I will not be notified.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@akshay20558 do you still need help? I've not heard back in 2 weeks so i presume you've done something already.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels