General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Inflated Integer Values After Transposing Dataset

felixacademy
5 - Atom

I'm facing a challenge with the Transpose tool in Alteryx related to a student survey dataset. The dataset initially has accurate integer values, such as 'Total Students', 'Total Male', 'Total Female', 'Age Median', etc. However, after transposing the dataset, these integer values become hugely inflated and are no longer accurate. I am looking for some guidance or suggestions on how to address this issue.

Steps done:

Loading the data using the Input Data tool

There are three datasets containg student survey data, from 2018, 2019 and 2020.

I have loaded three datasets into alteryx and used union

Transposed the dataset using the Transpose tool with lots of different key-and datacolums with the same result. It seems like the transpose function is messing up the integer values.

- Does anyone have suggestions on why this might be happening in the context of a student survey dataset and how to correct it.

- Is there a common mistake or a best practice I might be overlooking in the transpose process specifically for survey data?

- Any insights or alternative approaches to handling this type of survey data in Alteryx would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,After transposeAfter transposeBefore transposeBefore transpose

Brad

2 REPLIES 2
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you Transposed, you selected too many fields as key columns. Try selecting only Year and utdanningsgruppe_eng as the key columns and leave everything else as is.

If your goal is to group the Year and utdanningsgruppe_eng  + get values as totstud_DBH, totmenn_DBH, etc as rows + their values, then this is how you should it.

Otherwise, it is working as intended when you select those fields. Should you get stuck in the process, kindly provide relevant data to this use case, and kindly provide your criteria in as much detail as possible. If you have a workflow built halfway, kindly export that over as well. To export a workflow go to: Options > Export Workflow. Kindly do NOT send a "Save As" copy.

Don't forget to @ tag me otherwise I will not get notified.... 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @felixacademy I've not heard back from you in 2 weeks. Wondering if your issue has been resolved or not.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels