General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Issue with ListBox in Macro

trzeciakwojtek
7 - Meteor

Hello All, 

I am recently core certified and am trying to move forward with the next set of lessons, particularly macros. 

I have been trying to follow along with the below lesson by making a mock-dataset and trying to replicate the results. 

I have not been able to successfully replicate what was depicted in the video.

Macro Interface Elements - Alteryx Community

Can anyone identify what's wrong with my macro?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Untitled.png

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Not home to take a proper look yet but there's a great explanation on this thread that should help to resolve this: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/List-box-to-update-the-Select-function...

trzeciakwojtek
7 - Meteor

Thanks DataNath, 

Seems to me like this is a workaround. He used multiple update value tools all setup as separate cases using if then statements to pass through the desired field. 

This works, and it makes sense. However, I want clarity as to why the example in the video cannot be replicated. Possible that what was in the video was not meant to be replicated and the workaround in the thread you mentioned is actually to correct course of action. 

The OP below is facing the exact issue I'm facing with and it looks very likely that he is trying to do what I'm doing: follow along with the video.

trzeciakwojtek_0-1652966869535.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

@trzeciakwojtek sorry for the late reply!

You had it all set up fine, aside from one thing.

In this instance, we're updating the multi-field by changing the base XML and therefore we need to feed the right syntax in. Place these into the following:

1 (start text) needs to contain <Field name="

2 (separator) needs to contain " /> <Field name="

3 (end text) needs to contain " />

DataNath_0-1653003661984.png

Also, as a little tip, you should only allow field types that are suitable. In this case, you're adding a $ to a numerical value and so should only allow the user to select numerical fields to run through the tool, as shown above. If you leave other types, such as string, that means that - in this case - if there was a 'Name' column for example, the user could then select that and it would undergo the same treatment (DataNath would be transformed to $DataNath).

Hope this helps!

trzeciakwojtek
7 - Meteor

You sir are correct! Thanks so much!

I did that at one point, but it looks like I may have typed something incorrectly. The video says this "auto-populates" so I got confused if this is supposed to be manually typed in. 

Thanks again!

DataNath
17 - Castor

No problem - glad I could help!

Labels