General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Introduce Alteryx in Accounting Information Systems class!

ssbharwani
5 - Atom

Hello,

I want to introduce Alteryx in my Accounting Information Systems class at TCU. I am reaching out to see if anyone has any ideas about a manageable project I can leverage during a 16-week semester. These are undergrad students and will move on to the Masters of Accounting program. 

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hello, @ssbharwani ..and if "TCU" is Texas Christian University, then howdy from a fellow Fort Worth-ian. 

For some background: my company, Buxton partners with some universities to bring a semester-long project to classes related to predictive modeling. I work with the Economics department at UTA to bring "The Buxton Challenge" to the ECON 5339 course. The focus is on predictive modeling, so it isn't restricted to a particular software or methodology.

I don't have a specific project in mind, but maybe some more insight on your goals would help the suggestions from others. 

- Is the intent to introduce Alteryx specifically, a particular accounting concept, or data concepts in general?

mrbillyjackson
7 - Meteor

DFW represent!

I'm a MS Acct graduate from UTD. I'm in close contact with one of the AIS instructors there and have presented Alteryx and Tableau overviews for her class.

I think a semester project in Alteryx is a great idea. I gravitate toward doing something with expense data or journal/GL data, especially recon.

As an internal auditor, I know there are many risks and (hopefully) controls surrounding those processes. I'd even look to common SOX key controls that could be automated. I think it  would be valuable as your students go on to be 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd line players to understand how to see if their controls and processes are working.

The challenge I would think is getting sufficient dummy data. Perhaps it is readily available and I am not aware.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Labels