Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 24 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 24 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/24

12 REPLIES 12
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Part 1 is simple math problem. But Part 2 is not simple problem.

I made the mathematical equation for part 2, but the number is too big, so that complex formula didn't work. I wasted much time to do this.

AoC_2023_24_02.png

AoC_2023_24_03.png

Of course, I tried the fixed number.

Honesty, I couldn't solve this quiz without @gawa 's hint!

Spoiler
Part 1 : simple math
AoC_2023_24_07.png

Part 2 : 

In other programming languages, the solution would be Solver for simultaneous equations, etc., but Alteryx does not have that. So, we will use a trick (this trick does not work with the sample data because there is too little data).

Spoiler
I first considered some special cases. That is, there are several hailstorms with the same axial velocity. Let's find them first. Then, hailstones with the same axial velocity will always have a constant distance. And the distance will be a multiple of the velocity difference from the rock we throw (we use the MOD function for this).

MOD(([px]-[Source_px]),([SPEED]-[vx]))​

The rocks we throw are created using brute force (we are experimenting with a value of ±1000), and we find the speed at which all hailstones with the same speed meet this condition.

This gives us vx, vy, and vz for the rock.

Also, if the rock and the hailstone have the same velocity, they will only collide when they have the same initial point, so we can now find the initial value of one of the axes (in my data, the z axis matched).

Now we can solve the equation and we are done.

First, bring in the appropriate hailstone and find the collision time. This time, since I knew the initial value of z (pz), the equation to find the following t1 could be formulated by saying that the z-coordinates of the hailstone and the rock match.

t1: vz2, pz2 is the appropriate hail velocity, initial position

([pz2]-[pz])/([vz]-[vz2])​

Next, py. Since I knew the time, py is obtained by the following equation, where the position of the y-coordinate at time t1 coincides with that of the hailstone and rock.

([vy2]-[vy])*[t1]+[py2]​

Similarly, px.

([vx2]-[vx])*[t1]+[px2]​

Then, px+py+pz will give the solution.

AoC_2023_24_04.png

The workflow for part 1 and 2.

AoC_2023_24_08.png

Tokimatsu
12 - Quasar

@gawa , thanks for your hint. I could not create a part2 workflow to create an answer from input data, but I could create an answer.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-01-07 191134.png

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

I go to reddit and youtube for help first but it not applicable to alteryx...

alteryx do not have sympy...

Labels