Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

When you’re working on a workflow on the Designer canvas, you’re dialed in. It’s just you, the data, and the tools. (And maybe your favorite work playlist.)

Source: GIPHY

When you’re in the groove, the analysis flows. But when you get an error or don’t know which tool to use next, it’s like the music stops.

Thankfully, there are tons of resources in Alteryx Designer to help you get unstuck! Let’s explore the options you have—all without leaving the software.

Search Bar

The search bar in Designer is a great first stop for help. It aggregates results from the tool palette, help documentation, and the Maveryx Community.

You can search for a topic, concept, or method and quickly find what you need. In the example below, if you are familiar with analyzing data in Excel but new to Alteryx, you can search “Vlookup,” and it will show you a tool that can accomplish that functionality.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 4.27.52 PM.png

If you can’t find a community discussion post that addresses your question in the first few results, you can click “ask the community a question” to view the full search results on the Community site.

One Tool Examples

When working with a tool that’s new to you, the one tool examples are a great resource. These example workflows are accessible right from the tool palette—just click on a tool and click “Open Example.”

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.05.46 PM.png

Here’s a look at the example workflow for the Transpose tool. This tool can pivot your data, but it can be difficult to conceptualize when and how to use the Transpose tool. When you run this example workflow, it shows you outputs based on different configurations using a sample dataset. It even has a conceptual representation of how the tool works!

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.10.49 PM.png

Help Pages

You might be familiar with our help documentation on help.alteryx.com, but did you know that when you are in Designer, there is a relevant help page just one click away?

You can click on the question mark in the configuration window to pull up the documentation. In the example below, I clicked on the icon while configuring the RegEx tool, and it pulled up the RegEx help page on my browser.

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.15.10 PM.png

  

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 3.16.42 PM.png

Sample Workflows

Perhaps your question is broader than “How do I use this tool?” You might be looking at the bigger picture, wondering about the best ways to analyze your data in Alteryx.

Enter sample workflows—these workflows show the analytics capabilities of Alteryx Designer. You can access them from the Help menu and browse the workflows by category.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 1.16.29 PM.png

Error Messages

Your workflow is up and running, but then… an error brings your progress to a grinding halt. Before jumping over to your browser, check that error message in your results window. For the most common errors, there is a “Learn More” link at the end.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 2.21.02 PM.png

Clicking on this link will take you to the related knowledge base article for troubleshooting.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 2.23.15 PM.png

Conclusion

Hopefully the in-product resources mentioned above helped you solve your problem. If not, a great self-service help option is to post your question on Community. The Designer discussion forum is full of Alteryx experts that would love to help!

Jam on!

Source: GIPHY

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Comments
LukeM

Love this @MeganDibble. So many ways to get the answer from right there where you're working.

Sharing my current favourite playlist for workflow-building as well ☺ - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWTiVLKoHQ1yC?si=aa4c369051774a20 

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @MeganDibble 

I am a regular within the Alteryx Community, and it is my believe that we support Alteryx Designer very well, one area with missing content is the Alteryx Server, it is like walking into the unknown when developers publish their workflows to the Galleries (Alteryx Server) they get frustrated with workflows running perfectly fine on their desktop and breaking down when published. There are more example, you may find them by visiting Alteryx Server Discussions 

Regards,

Arnaldo

MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @ArnaldoSandoval, thank you for the feedback! I will definitely keep this in mind when building out our content calendar. I would love to publish more blogs around Alteryx Server--if you or any colleagues have interest in writing about Server, send me a message on community, and I can help you get started :)

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @MeganDibble I sent you a message but I am not sure you receive it, it does not appear in my message interface.

Arnaldo