Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Run one app from another app in Gallery which are published as separate app's

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

We are planning to implement an Alteryx APP, which can be executed from Gallery or triggered by Gallery API from our web application. Our workflow has 2 chained APP’s. Each app has it’s own interface. Bothe apps will do the below work.

1. App 1 will have browse control as input tool. Once the user brose the file and click on run it will process the uploaded data file and generates the summary of the data, i.e. count of records and sum of the amounts etc.
  2. App 2 will have the interface to display the summary of 1st App and provides option to proceed for next steps. If user selects yes and click on run, then the workflow will do some validation on the data and provides output.

When we publish this app (Chained) in gallery it works without any issues. But when we try to execute this app using Gallery API, then we are getting exception that, input control is not supported, because the first app has browse control as input. And another issue is that, Gallery API will not support chained APPs

To solve this issue, is there any possibility that, we can publish multiple apps separately in Gallery and trigger one app from another with out using chained concept. If we can do this, then we can split the above mentioned 2 app’s into 3. Where the first app will be the same and second app will be splatted into 2, one is with summary interface and user response, another will perform validations on the data. Buy doing this, we can upload a file from our web application and provide the path to 3rd app using API’s and if the user want to run this workflow from Gallery then user can run the first app in the Gallery.

So, please let me know, if there is any option to run one APP from another APP in the Gallery, where both the apps are published separately.

Thank you,

Jithendra.

4 REPLIES 4
JamesHa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Jithendra 

1. You could use the API to get the appid

2. POST to queue the workflow using appid from step 1

3. If POST returns 200 response then query status using jobid

4. If status = complete && dispostion = Success

5. POST next appid

I have not tested this but you should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do using the api documentation link located next to your keys

JamesHa_0-1587739151370.png

There is also an api to return app questions so you could possibly have the user specify the file they want which updates the input tool? Also have not tested.

James Dolan-Hall | Principal Technical Account Manager
support@alteryx.com | community.alteryx.com
Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi James Dolan-Hall,

Thank you so much for your inputs.

We are already using Gallery API documentation (i.e. end points) to get the questions and queue the workflow requests. But these API's will not support the browse input controls and chained APP's. My requirement is, the workflow which I have published in the Gallery should be able to triggered by user from Gallery as well as by using API.

When I publish the workflow in the Gallery and if the user try's to run this by login into Gallery, then we need to provide browse control to input the file and we need to use chained app as well for user better experience. But the API will not be able to trigger this app, because this app has browse control as input and it is a chained app.

To over come the browse control issue with API, we thought to split this single app (Chained) into 3 individual app's. i.e. we will have 1st app with browse control and send the browsed file data as input to 3rd app. This will be used by Gallery user. We will have 2nd app which will take the file path as input using text box. This will be used by API and it will not exposed to Gallery user. This app will read the file from the provided path and input the file to 3rd app. 3rd app will perform the logic on the provided input data and generates the output. 3rd app will be common for Gallery user and API. But, with this method, we need to publish these 3 apps individually in the Gallery. When the user try to run the 1st app he will get the browse control to browse the file to take it as input, but how can we invoke the 3rd app from 1st app in the Gallery, because 1st app and 3rd app are not chained. To over come this we thought to design 3rd app as a scheduler, so that first app will schedule the 3rd app. But the issue is, how the user will be able to download the output file generated by 3rd app from the Gallery, because scheduler will run behind the scenes. 

JamesHa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

After testing the file browse tool with the api, that will not be an option.  You could put all the files into a network location and bring in the names of the files to create a name:value pair to update a drop down tool for the user to select the file which updates the input.

JamesHa_0-1587759057216.pngJamesHa_1-1587759136408.pngJamesHa_2-1587759244323.png

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

James Dolan-Hall | Principal Technical Account Manager
support@alteryx.com | community.alteryx.com
Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thank you for your inputs.

This sample will work if we have the files copied to some place. But in our case user has to provide the input file.