Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Outputting to an Excel template file on the server

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Hi, 

I've got a workflow which takes an Excel file as an input using the Blob input tool. It then outputs a copy of the file with a specific filename. Once it's outputted, data is added to the output file, essentially using the original Excel file as a template. 

I want to add this to Alteryx Server by saving the input files to the gallery itself and allowing the user to download the final output file.

However, this doesn't work as Alteryx needs to output data to the blob output file after it's been created and saved down. 

Does anyone know of a way around this? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ALT_2358 the trick with this approach is to get the blob input to ingest the excel template and then output the excel template with blob output before the data is outputted in the Data output tools. You can do this many ways such as ensuring the blob section is at the start of the workflow or using the Append Tool or even the block until done tool. This approach does work on the server you just need to be conscience if you uploading files and not outputting to a specific network location the server has been granted access to, they may become relative paths instead. Therefore your filepaths in the workflow may need to be amended I usually test and develop in Designer then upload to the server. Then from Designer open the workflow I just saved to server and change the filepaths as I can see they become relative paths e.g. _external_1 .

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Hi @JosephSerpis ,

Thanks so much for the reply!

I accidentally tapped 'accept solution' just as it was loading up on my phone screen before trying anything out - really sorry about that!

I've tried putting the blob input at the start, using an append tool then a block until done tool but I still couldn't get it to work on the server. I've  used relative paths throughout. 

I must be doing something wrong - would you possibly be able to check what it might be, please? I've attached a simple sample workflow with all the files. I've pasted in a screenshot below too it that's easier.

Thanks!

ALT_2358_0-1618142448269.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ALT_2358 I had a look at your workflow and it worked for me on Designer and also on Server. The output I got from server was the excel template that had been populated with the data from the workflow. I even made changes to the data and added some additional rows to ensure it outputting correctly. I have a pretty standard deployment for my Alteryx Server as well so unsure what could be the issue on your side.

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Thanks for testing it out for me. That's really strange, it only works for me in Designer and not the Server. 

I'll play around with things a bit more. I think it's possible to achieve something similar using a run command so maybe I can look into that a bit and see if that works instead. 

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Managed to get it working as expected using the run tool!

I create a copy of the template using the run tool with the correct filename then output to the newly created file. 

Works on Designer and the Server for me now 🙂