Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Intermittent failures to write into shared folder

KarolisGrsk
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have issues with writing files into a shared folder. Alteryx Server keeps throwing intermittent access errors that seemingly happen at random times.

My setup:

• Shared folder and Alteryx Server are are on different machines.
  • Alteryx Server is using the same service account which has read/write access to the shared folder.
  • Error happens while trying to write into any type of files, loading Macro's from a shared folder or while Alteryx is saving a .bak file.

Attached is a log screenshot I extracted from MongoDB. A test workflow was scheduled every 3minutes to attempt and write a .xlsx file.

Basically trying to figure out where to start the investigation here. Are there any things that I should check on the Alteryx Server side?

gYEd2xxd6I.png

3 REPLIES 3
KarolisGrsk
5 - Atom

To add to the story.

I created a shared folder on the same machine as Alteryx Server and set the output tools to write into the shared folder path.

I am getting no errors this way.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @KarolisGrsk 

As a best practice, it's always recommended to store all file inputs/outputs in a network location that the Server machine can access. The client machine should also be able to access these files.

If there is a run as a user configured on the Server machine, then this user will also need access.

If you are outputting to multiple sheets or files in a workflow or the same file in a workflow, I would recommend using the Block Until Done tool.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and if it helps resolve your problem, mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

udaya_chennupati
5 - Atom

Block Until is also not helpful. Still facing the same error. Can anyone please let me know if there is any other solution for this?