Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Conditional branching of workflow?

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

I feel like this ought to have been answered before, but I cannot find the solution anywhere?

Is there a simple tool which allows the workflow to branch depending on a condition? 

In my example, I'd like to NOT run a SQL query if the result of a previous query returns 0 results.

Not really au fait with macros yet - can this be done without a macro?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
Assaf_m
11 - Bolide

you can use the "Detour" tool 

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

I did see this tool, but I don't get how this works in the case of a condition being true or false? 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I've suggested it as an idea:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Programmatic-Detour/idi-p/12763

a macro is what you're looking for.  In the CReW macros, there is a conditional runner tool. You can call another workflow in the event that you've received data. 

without a macro, you can call your query via a dynamic input tool. When no date is provided from the first query, you can replace the sql with something static or simply cause an error that doesn't get submitted. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Yes! I'm already using the Dynamic Input tool so it's just an additional query modification! Thank you.

I have the Crew macros but can't get them to work. Besides, I want to branch within the workflow rather than call another.

Thank you for the DI tool idea though - that should do it 🙂

Labels