Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

workflow for comaring files

Alteryx_2021
5 - Atom

Hello Community,

I am trying to build a workflow which could compare files with different column schemas, which means that we have file A, file B, file C... and each file has version 1 and version 2. I would like to create comparison reports for each file (A, B, C...) which illustrate the difference between version 1 and version2.

I want to achieve this by using batch macro. But during comparison (I used join for comparison), since each file has different column schemas, I am not able to choose the correct columns for comparison. 

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Are you just trying to compare schema, meaning field names/size/types, etc?  In that case, you can use the Field Info tool on the Developer Palate and join on all those atttributes.

Alteryx_2021
5 - Atom

Hi mbarone,

actually I am going to compare the content of the files. For each comparison, two files have the same schema. But I have files of different column schema that need to be compared.

Best

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I see.  Assuming you can get the full paths to each pair of files, you'd have to read those into a batch macro.  The batch macro itself could transpose the file so you get two columns: name/value.  And then you can join on the name/values.  Check out the Transpose tool and try it with a couple files.  That might be what you're looking for.

Labels