Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

select value from a particular cell

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Pls. help on the below.

Input 1: contains 2 cols. where sales is blank (needs to be populated from input 2 & INPUT 3).

Countrysales
India 
Japan 

Input 2: no common identintifier btwn. input 1 and input 2/3. However from a day to day process perspective I knew I need to pick a particular cell value from input 2 and it is not going to change in the near future. (let us assume that value is always from B1 which is 25)

SNOAB

Similarly I have another input to pick out value for japan which is A2 (in this case it is 40)

SNOAB

Final output

Countrysales
India25
Japan40

Is there a way we can handle it in altyerx.

Thanks in advance.

Srinivas

4 REPLIES 4
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @SrinivasanSugumaran ,

Picking a specific value for each country would be pretty simple using Select and Filter tools. However, I think what you're looking for is something a bit more sustainable and that would work on a larger scale.

I've put together a rough proof-of-concept for an approach that uses a mapping table:

jamielaird_0-1614785099539.png

For each input data source, we first name the dataset and create a table that shows us the cell reference of each value:

DatasetCellRefValue
1A115
1B125
1A245
1B2

DatasetCellRefValue
2A1100
2B120
2A240
2B2

We then populate a mapping table with the cell references and dataset IDs for each country, and use a simple join to get the relevant values:

CountryDatasetCellRef
India1B1
Japan2A2

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much. Let me try it with a larger data set

SrinivasanSugumaran
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jamielaird ,

Another clarification pls.

How to colour a particular cell from the output fetched.

Thanks

Srinivas

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SrinivasanSugumaran,

You need to use the table tool in order to colour cells. This article has a workflow inside that will show you how to colour cells. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Table/ta-p/49555

Labels